Perhaps you have heard of Netflix, probably the biggest video-streaming website that is available on the web, the only downside is the fact that it is currently only available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Ireland. According to the company there are plans to launch the service in other countries as well, but nothing has been officially announced yet. The great thing about Netflix is the fact that you pay a monthly subscription fee, and you can watch as many episodes or movies as you would like. Netflix only charges users $7.99 per month, which is a great price. Although Netflix may not have the latest episodes, it’s still a great source for content. Users can watch TV Series like South Park, Family Guy, How I Met your Mother and many more.
In this tutorial we will explain how you can get the service working in every country worldwide, and the great thing about our tutorial is the fact that you won’t need slow and expensive VPN servers.
These are the things that you will need to watch Netflix worldwide:
- Unblock US account ($49.99 yearly or $4.99 monthly)
- Netflix account (1 Month free trial after that $7.99 per month)
If you wonder on what devices Netflix can be used, check your devices that you have at home. Many of the latest devices have a Netflix client built-in. In this tutorial we will only describe how to get the service working on your Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad and second-generation Apple TV, although the service will also work on other devices. Owners of an iDevice should also have access to an American iTunes account, follow this tutorial to create one without having to use a creditcard or iTunes gift card.
Let’s get started by creating and setting up UnblockUS.
- Navigate to the unblock-us website.
- Decide whether you want to start a 7-day free trial or that you want to create a premium account.
- After completing step 2 you should have received a confirmation email, read the email and click on the ‘Setup Page’ link.
- On the setup page you can see the number of devices that are supported by the service and how you can set them up, but we first have to activate the service.
- In this tutorial we are making use of a Mac, Windows users can use a tool that is specifically designed for their operating system.
- Click on the Apple logo on the top left of your Mac and click on ‘System Preferences’, select your network > ‘Advanced’ and click on the ‘DNS’ tab.
- Remove the current DNS servers by pressing the minus – button, make sure that it is completely clean.
- The next step is to add the unblock-us DNS servers, press the plus + button and add the following addresses: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 and press on ok to confirm your settings.
- Reboot your PC and click on this link to check and activate the service.
- If it doesn’t work, please make sure that you have set every exactly like the screenshot below.
- Proceed to the next step if the service is activated.
Now that we are ready activating the service it is important that you transfer these settings to your other devices. We will only describe how to do this on your iPhone, iPad and Apple TV but other devices work in a similar way, the only thing that you have to change is the DNS address, do not change any other settings as they cause problems with the connection to the Internet.
iPhone and iPad
- Make sure that the unblock-us service is activated by visiting this link on your computer.
- Open the ‘Settings’ menu on your iPhone or iPad.
- Click on ‘Wi-Fi’ in the left column and select the network that you are currently using by pressing the blue and white arrow behind this network.
- If you completed the step correctly you will now see the settings of your network, remove the numbers that are behind the word ‘DNS’ and replace them with the following line: 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
- Press the ‘Home’ button on your device and reboot/restart your iPhone or iPad do not forget this step.
- Download the Netflix application from the American App Store, you will need a U.S. iTunes account, follow these steps and you will get one without the need for a Creditcard or gift card.
- You are now ready to use Netflix on your device, the only thing that you will need is a account but we will get to this soon.
Apple TV 2G
- Start your Apple TV and enter the ‘settings’ menu.
- Select ‘General’.
- Now select ‘Network’ in the list of options.
- You should now see the network that you are currently connected to.
- Select the option ‘Configure TCP/IP’ and select ‘Manually’.
- Do not change the IP address, Subnet Mask or Router Address, you only have to change the DNS to: 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52 – your choice.
- Go back to the settings menu > general and select iTunes Store
- In the iTunes Store menu you have to change the location to the United States.
- Put the Apple TV in sleep with the ‘Sleep Now’ command in the settings menu.
- Disconnect the power-cable for around 15 seconds and connect it again.
- You are now ready to make use of Netflix.
Creating a Netflix account.
- Now that all our devices are ready it is time to create a Netflix account.
- Visit the Netflix website on one of the devices that have been setup with unblock-us and fill-in your details in the 4-line form at the right column of the website – first month is free.
- After filling in your name, e-mail and password you are redirect to the payment page, you can only use a creditcard since PayPal is limited to USA only, it will charge you $.01 for verification.
- After creating your account you can start watching movies on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.
- Have fun!