WhatsApp is one of the most popular applications on iOS, it allows you to chat with people who also have WhatsApp installed, it works quite similar like text messaging although WhatsApp is free. WhatsApp is currently available for iOS, Android, Symbian and BlackBerry OS.
The application cannot be installed on an iPod Touch, because it has been given the tag that it is only compatible with the iPhone. Using the iPhone Configuration Utility it is still possible to install WhatsApp on an unsupported iDevice, a jailbreak is not needed.
If you want to install WhatsApp on your iPod Touch, you will have to follow the following steps. The results to install this app on the iPad are mixed, the latest WhatsApp version (2.6.2) seems to have a hardware check which doesn’t allow the iPad to start the application. There are however some iPad users that said that they have it working.
- Buy WhatsApp using iTunes on your Mac/PC
- Download the iPhone Configuration Utility 3.3
- Install the iPhone Configuration Utility 3.3
- In the left column, click ‘Applications’ choose ‘Add’, browse to the iTunes Music folder Music ▸ iTunes Media ▸ Mobile Applications and select the package ‘WhatsApp.ipa’.
- Now connect your iPod Touch to your Mac and select it under ‘Devices’. Click on the ‘Applications’ tab, select WhatsApp button and click on Install. WhatsApp will now be installed on your iPod Touch!
- Before starting WhatsApp, go to Cydia.
- Add BigBoss repository if it isn’t there. (http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/)
- Search for WhatsPad and install the application.
- Now install WhatsApp on your device, purchase it through iTunes.
- WhatsApp should start connecting and send you the three digit code.
- Enter it on the application and you should be up and running.